Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wow & Flutter

Last week-end we went to Wow & Flutter, a performance by Andrew Schneider at the Chocolate Factory in Long Island City. I could not resist the name. After so many years trying to minimize it (and finally getting rid of it in digital --unless you count jitter as a form of flutter), I seek it! The piece was more related to distortions of memory than about our woes with tape. The review in the New York Times is pretty accurate.(Incidentally, I just read about a homemade wow & flutter meter --for the advanced hobbyist).

Speaking of flutter, I am a big fan of Jamie Howarth' s Plangent Processes, which digitally removes extremely small flutter artifacts inherent in the mechanical nature of tape recordings (bearings, idlers, etc). It is probably the only restoration process I have ever heard that created a marked improvement without any side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment